Monday, June 19, 2006

i heart long runs.

yes, i most certainly do. long runs for me are the payoff of a week of 3, 4, and 6 milers. and so, i was a little concerned this week when tightness in a muscle in my lower leg (apparently called the "extensor digitorum longus") ricocheted into a sore ankle, hip flexor, etc. on my short, easy run on saturday. i iced, advilled, rested, compressed, and remolded the buy-at-home orthotics, and hit the road sunday for a 9-miler. i told drew i would take it in two loops so that i was never more than 2.25 miles away from home and was absolutely prepared to pull the plug on the run at any point.

lo and behold, i got out there and felt good - the miscellaneous pains were back to the dullest of tightness and largely disappeared after the first mile or so. i actually racked up negative splits throughout the run and am happy to report that i am walking just fine this morning.

it's the damnedest thing - the longer i'm out there, the happier i am. my stride opens up, my head clears, and i actually get faster. has my obsessive personality finally found a healthy outlet? only, i suppose, if those long runs are the reward of a shorter, slower week. you guys can help keep me honest on that front.

in less dramatic - more dramatic? - news, i ran 29.0 miles in week 20 of my training and 27.5 this week (week 19). things are looking good!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

re the longer i'm out there... especially if you start slowly and progress to the pace that makes you feel good :) happy running, corrado

10:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very best site. Keep working. Will return in the near future.
»

4:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm impressed with your site, very nice graphics!
»

11:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home